Sunday, April 17, 2005

Should've Expected It

I just added my comment to the earlier post when I came across this story about how George is pissed about the Yankees 'slow start'. Here are a few excerpts:

"Enough is enough. I am bitterly disappointed as I'm sure all Yankee fans are by the lack of performance by our team," Steinbrenner said in a statement issued immediately after the game.
"It is unbelievable to me that the highest-paid team in baseball would start the season in such a deep funk. They are not playing like true Yankees. They have the talent to win and they are not winning. I expect Joe Torre, his complete coaching staff and the team to turn this around."

Yikes!

"What did you expect him to say, we're playing great? Keep up the good work?" Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter said. "We haven't been playing well. It's easy to see. We just have to turn it around. That's basically it."

I like Derek's take on it. You really can't blame George. At least he waited for the Yanks to really get into the basement. I remember in 1998 when the boys were only 1-4 he went off and was rumored to be considering firing Joe Torre.

The one thing I didn't appreciate about all this is the way Joe Morgan seemed to be so happy about it. During his interview on Baseball Tonight he talked about the Yankee troubles with a definite gleam in his eye and said several times how there is a lot to be concerned about.

Hey Joe, The Yankees will wipe that smile off your face soon enough. Count on it.
|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home