Friday, May 06, 2005

I Can Take the Losing....

...it's the asshole "fans" that make me want to hurl. Last night, I met up with a friend for a drink after the game. Just as we were ordering our beers at the bar, I see this guy standing next to us, standing up, apparently holding court because the audience of three people sitting around him were captivated. What was he spewing that was so fascinating? Yankee venom. His words, and I quote: "Joe Torre is terrible." And apparently, he got "lucky" in that he was coaching a team of "superstars" from 1996-2001.

That there told me that this guy was not only a jackass, but a bandwagoner. Because any real Yankee fan can tell you that the Yankees never had that "superstar" monniker until at least 1999. In fact, in 1998, the big "problem" the media had with the Yanks is that they didn't have a "superstar" and could therefore not be considered one of the greatest teams of all time. (Yeah, I know.) And let's not even go there with his whole Joe Torre is terrible thing because...ugh.

The thing that got me was that no one in his little captivated group bothered to argue with him. And I was about to open my mouth when I realized something -- this dumbass was the type you couldn't argue with. He was so convinced of his own theory, that I'm sure if I interjected wtih something like, oh, "You don't know what the fuck you're talking about," he would've just ignored me and kept on with his argument. It was one of those pick your battle moments, and that was one battle I was destined to lose -- even though I know I had the better argument.

So yeah, losing sucks ass. But dealing with people like this makes it 1000 times worse.
|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home